I've decided to make some posts about traditional drink in Europa countries. Now it is time for Belgium's beer. The Belgians are very proud of their beers, of which there are basically three types:
- Bottom-fermented beers, which are brewed at a low temperature ( below 50 F, 10 C). They are pale and yellowish in color and , because of the hops, slightly bitter and dry taste. The best known brands Jupiler, La Stella, and La Maes.
- Spontaneously fermented beers, a process which is triggered by bacteria and yeasts which naturally occur in the Senne valley.
- Top-fermented beers, which can be brewed at higher temperatures (59-68F, 15-20C). Their color is usually copper to dark brown and their taste sweet and fruity.
Flemish Beef Casserole
ingredients (4 servings)
- 1 kg beef shoulder
- 1/4 cup butter
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 large onions
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 500 ml Gueuze, Lambic or any brown beer
- 1 slice of bread
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard